Washington County, located in the southwestern corner of Utah, has a rich and fascinating history that dates back thousands of years. The area that is now Washington County was originally inhabited by the Southern Paiute and the Anasazi people.
The first European explorers arrived in the area in the late 1700s, with the first permanent settlers arriving in the 1850s. These early settlers were primarily farmers and ranchers who were drawn to the area’s fertile land and mild climate.
In 1852, the Washington Territory was created, and the area that is now Washington County became a part of the newly formed territory. In 1858, the Utah Territory was created and Washington County became a part of it.
During the 1800s, agriculture, mining, and transportation were the main industries in the area. The construction of St. George Temple in 1877 brought many Mormon settlers to the area, and the city of St. George quickly became the largest settlement in the county.
In 1894, the Dixie National Forest was created, which helped to preserve the area’s natural beauty and resources. The creation of the national forest also attracted many visitors to the area, and tourism became an important industry.
During the 20th century, the population of Washington County grew rapidly, driven by the growth of tourism and retirement communities. Today, Washington County is home to a diverse population of more than 160,000 people and is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts and those looking for a mild climate and beautiful scenery.
Some of the most notable historical sites in the area include St. George Temple, the historic downtown district, and the Pioneer Center for the Arts. Many of the county’s original settlers’ families still reside in the area and have left their mark on the county’s history.
In conclusion, Washington County has a rich history that spans thousands of years. From the Southern Paiute and the Anasazi people to the arrival of the first European explorers, and the creation of the Washington Territory, Utah Territory, and the Dixie National Forest, the area has seen many changes and developments over the years. The county is known for its beautiful scenery, mild climate, and diverse population.
- The Washington County Historical Society – This website provides information on the history of the county, including information on historical sites, events, and resources for genealogy research.
- The St. George News – This website provides local news coverage, including articles on the history of the county and its communities.
- The Dixie Sun News – This website is a digital version of the local newspaper, that provides news and articles about the county and its history.
- The Washington County Library – This website provides information on the library’s resources, including its historical collections.
- The Utah History Encyclopedia – This website provides a wealth of information on the history of the state of Utah, including information on the history of Washington County.
- The Washington County Historical Society Facebook page – This page provides information on upcoming events, history photos, and other resources related to the county’s history.
Irrigation in Washington County, UT
- Washington County Water Conservancy District – This website provides information on the district’s water management and conservation efforts, including information on irrigation practices and resources for water-efficient irrigation systems.
- The Utah Division of Water Resources – This website provides information on the state’s water resources and management, including information on irrigation and water conservation.
- The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) – This website provides information on irrigation and water conservation, as well as resources for farmers and ranchers.
- The Irrigation Association – This website provides information on irrigation technologies, best practices, and resources for professionals and homeowners.
- The Utah State University Extension – This website provides information on irrigation and water conservation, as well as resources for farmers and gardeners.
- The National Irrigation Information Center – This website provides information on irrigation and water conservation, as well as resources for farmers and ranchers.